An influential business voice
We campaign nationally and locally on behalf of our members, making government aware of matters that will help West End businesses to perform better, ensuring the West End business voice is heard.
We have firmly established ourselves as a respected delivery partner with the Mayor of London and Westminster City Council to enhance the West End’s status on a global stage and influence future policies to support economic development in our area.
View our recent responses on behalf of our members:
- Consultation on the transitional arrangements for the 2017 business rates revaluation
- Commons Select Committee on Housing, Communities and Local Government Inquiry into Future of High Streets
Local (Westminster City Council, Transport for London, Metropolitan Police)
- Second consultation on the transformation of the Oxford Street District
- Mayor of London’s Transport Strategy
- Mayor of London’s Economic Strategy
- The draft London Plan – from The Mayor of London
- Westminster City Council’s draft budget
- GLA’s draft budget
- First consultation on the transformation of the Oxford Street District
View our combined responses with other Westminster BIDS:
- Transport for London’s consultation on the Ultra Low Emission Zone
- The Mayor of London’s Night Time Commission Consultation
- Street Performing Report for City Management and Public Protection Policy & Scrutiny Committee
- DEFRA’s Clean Air Strategy
- Transport for London’s Proposed Changes to the Congestion Charge
A snapshot of our work
We led the London-wide campaign to minimise the impact of business rate rises on the capital, saving West End businesses £10 million over three years compared with the original proposals, and will continue to lobby for a wholesale review of business taxation to create a fairer system for all.
We also campaigned to make it easier for high spending foreign visitors to visit and shop. Our work with the UK China Visitor Alliance led to the introduction of the two-year Chinese visa in 2016 together with a range of other initiatives. In the
campaign’s five years, Chinese visitor numbers have increased by over 150%, outstripping growth in the Schengen area and the UK climbed above Germany and Italy to come a close second to France in the number of visitor visas issued.
We secured £5 million of investment from the Mayor, Transport for London and Westminster City Council towards the £10 million public realm scheme for Bond Street, ensuring the work will be completed in time for the opening of the new Elizabeth Line in 2018.
We are also a key driving force behind the Oxford Street District Consultation, launched in November 2018 by Westminster City Council. New West End Company will continue to work with Westminster City Council and Transport for London to deliver a scheme that works for businesses, visitors and residents.
In 2016 our New West End Company campaign saw Sunday trading reform proposed in a Government Bill for the first time in 22 years. Although defeated in the Commons we are confident we can introduce this again in the next two years.
For details on any of our business campaigns, please contact Henry Gregg on firstname.lastname@example.org
£10 million funding secured for Bond Street transformation
£10 million saved in business rates for West End businesses over 3 years
150% increase in Chinese visitors since our intervention on tourist visas